Friday, November 2, 2012

Wedding Vows

On October 6th we attended my lovely cousin Amanda's wedding (catch her at http://adultcontentment.blogspot.com/) in Kirksville Missouri. She and her husband chose to write their own vows, when they started I poked Simon "why didn't we do that?" but near the end when there wasn't a dry eye in the audience I poked him again and said "I'm glad we didn't do that." I say this because it was one of my personal goals for maintain my self composure at my wedding, those of you who know me well know I am a crier. However I was still very inspired by their ceremony, and told Simon I would like to write our own "vows," you know as if we were doing it again and recite them to each other in private.

After some persistent nudging he agreed, and we roughly set a deadline and agreed we would have a date night and share the vows. I cried while writing mine, I finished several weeks ago, pretty sure Simon finished his... today for all I know.

Date night was a fail because we somehow agreed that a 6:30 movie would work, even though we both work until 5. So we decided to hit up Panda Express and watch Harry Potter, the movie has been moved to Sunday afternoon.

So anyway.... the vows:

Me
I had a theme of "we can't live without each other" and poked fun at both of our flaws and noted how the other person balances the crazy out. For example if Simon had to pay the bills we would be homeless and if he did manage to pay them it would be by a mailed check! For myself I lose everything and I really don't know how I found anything when living in the dorms and my townhouse (Mom helped me as a kid.)

Simon
His very subtle theme was that we are a "perfect fit." He also poked fun at both of us, I loved how he mentioned his calm water personality and my fiery personality. Simon is laid back to the point it pains me and I am a bit high strung, so we really do balance one another out. He ended with 2 Shakespeare quotes and even though he mentioned afterward that one was from my favorite play The Tempest which is actually NOT my favorite, I couldn't even be annoyed because it was just so darn cute!

I am really glad we did this little exercise and truly believe all marriages are works in progress. Just because we don't have children to distract us doesn't mean we spend every waking minute in wedded bliss. We are constantly working on ways to keep things fresh and interesting.

If you didn't write your own vows, I really suggest this little exercise, it is cheesy and I almost couldn't stop laughing in order to read my vows but it was a lot of fun and definitely made me feel very special.

1 comment:

  1. EM! This was the cutest idea ever. I love that you guys did this... Maybe Brett and I will just re-read ours over to each other? Haha

    ReplyDelete