Thursday, October 25, 2012

When the Money Runs Out...


It is Tuesday night, the 23rd and I just now realized how appropriate my budget post was. We are already $1 over our grocery budget, of course “groceries” includes toiletries, cleaning products and dog food as well. We have $29 left in our “out to eat” budget, but to be honest I would rather starve than miss out on my restaurant food!

Quite often we go $5-10 over in a few places but we run short in others, so 9 times out of 10 we are still below budget, however since my previous post I've really been reminded that I budget for a reason, to save money.

As the good Dave Ramsey says “live off of rice and beans, beans and rice if you have to” luckily I think we can do a bit better than rice and beans.

               
Tuesday- I had cereal, which is fine because I love cereal, Simon had left over casserole and made his fancy “fried” corn from a can we had in the pantry.


Wednesday- I put a frozen soup in the fridge to thaw the night before and we had a box of Jiffy corn bread mix. I didn’t feel very good all day so I was content with 2 corn bread muffins. I did finish the soup for lunch the following day though.

Thursday- Waffles (Cinderella pumpkin spice waffles to be exact) and sausage, we are both huge breakfast fans and breakfast is a great meal to cook together, which is something we hardly ever do, quite possibly because I micro manage my kitchen.



So I know you are thinking “anyone can ‘scrounge’ for 3 days.” (I see you cringing at that word sister.) In our house we scavenge frequently without thinking about it, but there is something about knowing it is your only option that really stinks! Like being on a diet, all you want to do is break it!

We still have 6 more days until the budget starts over, we are lucking out in the fact that we are going to St Louis for the weekend for my aunt Heidi’s annual fall party. We already budgeted for “travel” which is gas and snacks and we will mooch off my parents over the weekend, and possibly raid their pantry to make it through the rest of the month when we get back!

Happy Budgeting!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the "scrounging" (I can't say it!) you should totally steal food from Mom and Dad!

    ReplyDelete